Sunday, June 7, 2009

Destination Delhi


Since the last post on this blog, a number of things have occurred:
  1. Dan and I somehow made it safely out of Thailand.
  2. Dan graciously retired from both UNC and the blog, the latter of which is clearly a more impressive accomplishment.
  3. I'm back in Asia.
Given the past blogs, #3 might seem slightly odd. I'm spending just short of 12 weeks here in India, 10 of which will be spent interning with a company in New Delhi. One week down, 9 to go.

Delhi is, well, insane. The traffic and development make Bangkok look like one of the cleanest, most well planned cities on the face of the earth. Not that it isn't, it's just that I realize how fortunate we were in Thailand with the metro, Skytrain, lack of trash, personal space, taxis with AC, and more.

Oh, and the cool temperatures. Delhi is vicious. I shut my computer down at 11pm and it's still above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. At the peak of the day? It passes 105 with degrees to spare. Luckily my bedroom of the apartment has AC.

That's it for this first post. Pictures are being added to my Picasa site which you can find on the right hand side of the blog.

One last thing, I'm already regretting not getting a rabies vaccination. It's not stray dogs and unlike Thailand it isn't because of my entirely rational fear of bats at dusk. Nope, it's monkeys. Walking back to our apartment the other night Jimmy and I saw what appeared to be a cougar lurking towards us. Turns out it was a female monkey with her child hanging onto her chest. Two others formed the rest of the posse that just happened to set up shop outside our aparment. Not cool. Luckily my fear allowed me to wait them out and then sprint upstairs to make sure every window was locked. One thing I won't do is follow the example of the former mayor of Delhi.

No comments: