Sunday, June 15, 2008

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL (for Japan)

Yesterday we took part in another Bangkok adventure, this time watching Thailand and Japan battle on the football field. The goals:
Japan - Win and keep alive their hopes to qualify for the World Cup.
Thailand - Draw and save face or simply don't loose too bad.
At least one team accomplished its goal (no pun intended).


The game was in the newer stadium called Rajamangala National Stadium and lucky for us, given Thailand's inability to change their World Cup fate with the game, few Thais showed up and we had a great view of the stadium.

Sadly, our presence at the game did more for the local vendors selling food and souvenirs than it did for the Thai team's chances of winning. Still, the diehard fans were in attendance and as a gesture to us non-Thai, they kept their cheers simple and annoying: "THAI-LAND" (horn blast) "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast), "THAI-LAND" (horn blast). . . you get the idea.

The Thai team did put up more of a fight in the second half, which I believe was a direct result of the wave that went around the entire stadium not once, not twice, but three times. More than once and I think it's classified as a tsunami. No that's not a 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami joke, I'm just trying to use local terms.

Despite the 3-0 skunking of the Thai team, I had a good time. Now all I have to do is find a sport the Thais are good at. . . Muay Thai anyone?

No comments: