The Thai undergrads were in for a treat the other day on the basketball court outside the girls dorms. No, it wasn't because we played shirts and skins and my glorious torso saw the light of Thailand for the first time. No one actually went shirtless, which was both good and bad. Good because the Thais weren't embarrassed by my bis, tris, delts, and pecs. Bad because I had no idea who was on my team.
My introduction to Thai pickup basketball came with two realizations: (1) every play is a fast break (and as a results cherry picking is a national past time) and (2) they play zone defense. Who the hell plays zone defense in pickup basketball? Oh well, luckily I had my days on the Sharks Biddy basketball team to help me out with my knowledge of the 2-3 zone.
The game was a blast and it's great being the size of a power forward over here. My team won the first game 13-2 and the next 13-6. It's all I can do to not fabricate an elaborate lie of me being a starter on the UNC varsity team and putting off plans to enter the NBA this year so I could study abroad.
And so ends my first foray onto the court. At the very least it was a good workout and I'm learning the numbers 1 through 13 in Thai.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment